Sponsored by:
 Money in Belgium > Money Guide > Work > Are you qualified in Belgium?

Are you qualified in Belgium?

How are qualifications recognised

Belgium adheres to the EU’s general system of recognition of diplomas and qualifications, which means that if your occupation is regulated in Belgium, you’ll have to have your home country qualification or experience formally recognised in order to practise your profession in Belgium.

Certain professions (mostly in medicine) have been ‘harmonised’ across the EU, so you may find your qualifications are automatically accepted. For other professions, you must prove that your training and experience covered a similar subject matter and duration as that of the locally required qualification. You may also be required to demonstrate your fluency in one or more of the local languages. If you’re lacking in any significant respect, you may be given the opportunity to qualify by passing an examination or performing further supervised practice.

To find out what the qualification criteria are for your profession, contact the regulatory board or professional society for your profession in your home country. They will put you in contact with the appropriate agency in your destination country if they don’t have specific information about reciprocity.

It’s also possible, particularly if you practise a trade that is regulated in the country to which you plan to go, to obtain a Certificate of Experience, documenting three to six years’ practical experience. This can be particularly useful if you’ve been self-employed in a trade.

Under normal circumstances, any university degree or academic diploma should be recognised in Belgium, but if you anticipate any difficulties you should contact one of the National Academic Recognition Information Centres (NARICs). These are available in all EU member states; a listing can be found on http://ec.europa.eu/education/programmes/socrates/adnaric_en.html 

Belgium may be the European champion in terms of the number of occupations that are regulated and require some form of licence or certification. Many trades (e.g. photographer, used car dealer, plumber, electrician, bricklayer) require you to register your qualifications with the Ondernemingsloket (NL) or Guichet d’entreprises (FR), if you’re planning to be self-employed.


Further Links about Work